Hailed from Italy, Crostata is a crusty pastry that anyone would enjoy. It’s effortless to make and preferable when serving a huge crowd. You will only need crust and a good filling.
What’s also nice about this pie is that it’s versatile. You can choose whether it can be bite sized or huge. And you can also experiment with the fillings. It can be sweet from fruits fillings or it can be savory from meat or vegetables. Either way, it’s still delish!
How easy it is to make Crostata? You will only do 4 simple steps! Know how to make this heavenly pie in a jiffy. This recipe works if you’re planning to host a large Holiday party. Kelli and Merri Ann of The Prepared Pantry used this recipe to serve a huge crowd and it turned out to be a great hit!
Step 1. Add the water and Mix the dough
Follow the directions on the bag. Add water and mix for one minute.
Step 2. Roll and cut the dough
Roll the dough to 1/4 inch thick and cut six inch rounds.
Step 3. Add the filling and fold
Put three tablespoons of filling* in the center of each round. Fold the dough over the filling and pinch the side folds together so that it holds its shape.
Step 4. Bake
Bake for 15 minutes at 425 degrees until lightly browned.
Take note that for the filling, you can use the canned fillings to save more time.
Isn’t it exciting? Lastly, it’s a must for you to know how to make the original Crostata recipe.
What you’ll be needing..
- 3 tablespoons apple pie filling for each crostata
- Pie dough
- Caramel topping
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Roll the dough to slightly less than 1/4-inch thick.
- Using a dough press or other round cutter, cut out 6-inch rounds
- Place three tablespoons of apple filling in the center of each round.
- Fold the dough over the filling, leaving the center open one inch or so, squeezing the folds together as you go. It does not need to be uniform. The folds will hold together better if you rub a damp towel over the creases to pick up any flour so that the dough sticks together better.
- Place each dessert on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until the crust begins to brown. Remove them to a rack while still hot.
- Serve warm.
If you choose to make these with fresh apples, for each four crostatas use:
- 2 cups thinly sliced and peeled tart apples
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pie dough
- Caramel topping
Bake until the crust is browned and the apples are tender. It will probably take a few minutes longer with the raw apples.
How to Make a Caramel Sauce
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 1 cup (two sticks) butter
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon butterscotch flavor
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan. Add the sweetened condensed milk and syrup. When the mixture is hot, add the sugar and salt and stir with wooden spoon until the sugar is dissolved.
- Wash the sides of the pan down with a soft spatula dipped in water until there is none of the mixture on the sides of the pan. This is to ensure that all of the sugar crystals are washed into the pan and dissolved. Check to make sure that there are no remaining sugar crystals by rubbing a little of the mixture between your thumb and forefinger. You should feel no gritty sugar.
- With no sugar crystals in your pan, turn up the heat and cook the mixture while stirring until the candy reaches 240 degrees as registered on a candy thermometer. Remove it from the heat and stir in the flavor.
- Best served while warm.
Did you like this sumptuous recipe? Then you’ll definitely have more with this book!
Get Mrs. Claus’s free book now and eight others weekly with advice and recipes for special occasions–holidays, birthdays, and family parties.
Get your first book, a free cookie mix, and a free shipping coupon today!
Click here to get the book
Just tell us where to send them! (Offer expires soon)
Visit The Prepared Pantry for more luscious recipes. Happy Holidays!
Just a disclaimer – We have partnered with these companies because we use their products and/or proudly trust and endorse them – so we do receive a commission if you make a purchase or sign up for services. Often, we are able to negotiate special discounts and/or bonuses, which we will pass on to you via our links. We often get short notice on sale items available for 24-48 hours, so be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest as we will pass these savings onto you.Read More