This festive season, our tables deserve to be filled with delightful and enticing sweets. Don’t have any idea yet? Why not try Rainbow cookies! These little treats have vibrant hues and irresistible sweetness that you must relish.
Creating rainbow cookies are fun and not stressful at all. You just need these basic techniques to start making them.
Step 1 Mix and color/flavor the dough
Make the dough. Divide the dough into three or four equal parts and add flavor and color to each.
Step 2 Shape the dough
Roll each part into equal logs. Use your hands and the counter to create square logs and flat logs.
Step 3 Create the patterns
Press the dough logs together into one log to form the patterns. Refrigerate the log.
Step 4 Slice and bake
Slice horizontal into 1/4-inch slices and bake.
Of course, don’t limit yourself with the color and shapes. Experiment as much as you can and work your creativity.
Making the log seems to be a bit tricky, just remember to keep them uniform.
- If you have a kitchen scale, use it to divide the dough portions equally. Make a rough rope out of each.
- Roll each rope in wax paper. Roll the waxed paper covered logs on the counter to make smooth logs, stretching and compressing to get them all the same length. Stroking the logs with your hands helps to make them smooth.
- For square logs, press them flat on the counter, stroke with your fingers, and turn them and stroke some more. Similarly, make strips for striped cookies.
It’s easier to make the logs than it is to describe how to make them. After the logs are made, press them together and refrigerate them until the dough is firm. Cut 1/4 inch thick slices with a serrated knife.
Now that you know the skills to apply let’s start baking those rainbow cookies!
- 3-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate (optional)
- flavors and extracts (your choice)
- food color gels (your choice)
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together.
- Cream the butter and sugar together. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating until smooth. Continue beating until the mixture is light and fluffy. Add the dry ingredients in two parts, mixing after each. Mix just until combined.
- Divide the dough into two, three, or four parts depending on how many different doughs you choose to make.
For the chocolate dough:
- For one half of the dough, melt two ounces of chocolate. For one fourth of the dough, melt one ounce of chocolate. While still warm, work the chocolate into the dough until uniform.
For flavored and colored dough:
- Add two or three drops of food color gel in each one-fourth or one-third part. Add 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1 teaspoon almond, 1/4 teaspoon peppermint, 1/2 teaspoon cherry, 1/2 teaspoon strawberry, or other extracts to the dough and mix in.
- Form the dough into cylinders, squares, or layers—a separate color or flavor for each. Refrigerate until firm.
- Cut the dough into 1/4-inch thick slices. To form the shapes, cut each colored cylinder separately but gently press the different colored discs together on the cookie sheet. Bake on ungreased cookies sheets at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies are nearly firmed and very lightly browned. Do not over bake. Cool on wire racks.
Make your Holiday celebration colorful and delicious with rainbow cookies!
Did you like this sumptuous recipe? Then you’ll definitely have more with this book!
Get Mrs. Claus’s free book now and eight others weekly with advice and recipes for special occasions–holidays, birthdays, and family parties.
Get your first book, a free cookie mix, and a free shipping coupon today!
Click on the image to get the book
Just tell us where to send them! (Offer expires soon)
Visit The Prepared Pantry for more luscious recipes. Happy Holidays!
Just a disclaimer – We have partnered with these companies because we use their products and/or proudly trust and endorse them – so we do receive a commission if you make a purchase or sign up for services. Often, we are able to negotiate special discounts and/or bonuses, which we will pass on to you via our links. We often get short notice on sale items available for 24-48 hours, so be sure to follow us on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Pinterest as we will pass these savings onto you.Read More